Thursday, March 29, 2012

Let's Listen to some MUSIC??? 0_o

Well, it wasn't too long after I got to PVAMU that I realized that i would have problems with more than the questions and ignorant statement. One other thing I have always loved and still love to this day is MUSIC!!! I know a lot of music of different genres and from the past couple decades even though sometimes I ask myself  "Sabia where do you know this song from and why do you know ALL the words?"  I thought that coming to Texas I would have quickly adjusted to the music and everything else but I was WRONG!!

Of course growing up in the Caribbean I always heard Soca, Danchall, Reggae, Calypso and as I got older I started listening to R&B, Hip Hop, Pop, Rock etc and my mom loves Jazz music so I know a lil summ summ!! my favourite genre of music has to be Soca but I have always been open to listening and hearing new things. Then I came to PV!!!


I went to the courtyard party for all the incoming freshman and I expected to hear a variety of music because when I lived in Antigua and even the year I lived in New York, any party or gathering I went to there was always a variety of music. However, this is what I heard (feel free to youtube theses songs):

Do the Ricky Bobby - B Hamp
HomeGurl - Bone
Walk With a Dip - Loui$iana Cash
Do Da Stanky Leg - G-Spot
Ice Cream Paint Job - Dorrough

Then as the years went on, the school artists songs started getting 'big".
Flex - Party Boyz
Twerk - Dj Chose & Brookgang Music

Yes there have been more but I think that I have mentally put up a block to them.


I never thought that I would be so homesick in my life.  It's to the point now where I am not even interested in going to parties here anymore, well...pretty much after my freshman year I can count the number of parties  that I have been to on ONE hand and it wouldn't pass my middle finger!!!  Yes I understand that if I go to a Caribbean party I will hear mostly Caribbean music, but that is not my point. Even though I will hear MOSTLY Caribbean music that is not ALL that I would hear.

On the rare occasion that a DJ would play some other music, it would be really popular R&B, Hip Hop and Rap ummmm excuse me I don't know about Texans but you cannot efficiently dance to these types of music!! THIS IS MY BLOG YOU WILL HEAR MY OPINIONS. I have heard maybe three "reggae" songs played throughout my entire college career and they are Flex, Pon De River and Get Busy!!! Yea I know -_-.

Well I know everyone has their preferences and loves their own music and I am not knocking "TX Music" because there are some songs that I have grown to love because I do adapt to my environment. Call me a chameleon (even though I am extremely terrified of lizards but back to the topic at hand).  TX does grow on you and I definitely have grown to love it but I don't think I will ever be fully entertained by this music.

LEMME HEAR WHAT YOU GOTTA SAY!!! LEAVE A COMMENT!!! :)


3 comments:

  1. Well Sabie, remember first of all texan ppl aint so fond of us Blacks/african americans if you want to put it that way. also their culture is alot different than ours here in antigua, meaning our music probably has not even been aired on their radio stations. its mostly those american R&B, RAP, Jamaican reggae singers etc.. so i think its really up to you as having caribbean roots to introduce our music to your friends etc....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually go to an HBCU (historically black college/university) so im surrounded by black texans at my skool but the culture here is really different!! read my 1st post n u'll see

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh i see and just for the record i actually know you personally lol. *you might freak when you figure out who i am* anyway girl, bring some of that soca music etc and show em what our culture is like. i bet they will be begging for more!

    ReplyDelete