Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Intro....IIGHT LETS GO!!!!

Whenever I get asked "Where are you from?" I always ask "Where was I born or where was I raised?" 

When many people think of the word "multicultural" they probably think about a place (city, state, company...etc) that contains people from different cultural backgrounds.  However, I, am talking about the fact that I was born in the United States of America, but I grew up on the island of Antigua. I lived in Antigua for the first 17 yrs of my life before moving back (I really shouldn't say "back" because i technically never lived in the US as a child but whatever u get my point) to the U.S.A so YES I still have an "accent" (and it will never go anywhere...it is a part of me).  I first lived in the Bronx in NY (BX BABYYYYY) for my 12th grade year of High School then I moved to Texas on a track scholarship (Prairie View A&M University to be exact) to achieve higher education and this is where my dilemma begins.

In NY, because it is such a melting pot of races and cultures, I could always find the foods that we ate in Antigua, the music that I loved, just some good ole Caribbean culture.  When I moved to Texas I was hit with a great reality check that everywhere in the US is NOT and I repeat NOT like NYC!!!  Now don't get me wrong, I have grown to love Texas and probably prefer it to NY (only because I don't like the cold and I like a slower pace). However, my freshman year in college I got hit with every (ummmmm let me use the word unexpected) unexpected question in the book. Here are a few:

I COULDN'T MAKE THESE UP IF I WANTED TO

"Oh you from the islands, what is it like living in trees?"
"Do ya'll swim to school n stuff?"
"Where in Jamaica is Antigua?"
"I know you gotta be fast cuz ya'll gotta run everywhere right?"
"Do ya'll wear shoes where you from?"
"How do you know how to use a computer?"
"Do ya'll live in huts still?"

OK yes I know that Antigua is a really small island and a lot of people have never heard of it, but come on, not everybody that has an "accent" is from Africa, Jamaica, Barbados or the Bahamas!!! 

Now there are many different situations, views, arguments...etc that I have encountered here in Texas that will be discussed, talked about, blogged about (or whatever you want to call it).

LEMME HEAR WHAT YOU GOTTA SAY!!! COMMENT!! :)


13 comments:

  1. Let me first start off by saying WHOA!! LMAOOOOOOO!!!

    I know how you feel of course!! Great intro. It feels sooo short to me! Just as I was laughing and gearing up to read about your experiences in Texas, the blog ended.

    Great intro!! WE WANT TO READ MORE!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing to think that we come from such a smile island, but we know so much more about the world at large than our U.S. counterparts.

    I had the same experiences in school in Iowa. I was Jon from Argentina...or Aruba...or Antego Bay (hated that one). But I just dealt with it...and cuss off ppl in dialect when dem bother up ma head ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog...I know what you mean I go through the exact same thing in Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol yaay I'm Multicultured too haha. Yes I know Antigua is small but those questions sure do get annoying. I was told by two people so far that the Caribbean is in South America. smdh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't want to sound like a stuck record, but I have gotten the same responses too, living in NYC. Some questions such as "How did you get here?" "How do you know so much?" "Are there cars in Antigua?" "Since it's not in Jamaica, can you take a train there?", and the list can go on forever. In my freshman year this used to make me really upset, and confused at the same time. I couldn't figure out how it was that for such a "developed" country the people were so backward (for want of a better term), and even more so "The World's City" New York.
    Before I write my own blog, I'd just like to say, that so far this is great, i love the way you express yourself.It takes us the readers on a journey, your journey, which is awesome, BUT as Karian says it's too short, and we NEED more... So, get to it. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find sometimes that the questions are way past "just wanting to know" to just ignorant!!
    Especially with technology being so versed, all they have to do is type Antigua in google and find out a bit about it before asking these very insulting question

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate since I go to college out of state... Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome writing Sabia, or as I would of said Sab-ah-th!Lol. When I first meet you I was one of the ones that asked you a 1,000,000 questions and still to this day I ask some. Your accent is awesome, not many people have a strong cultural accent like that, but yours stands out something serious. Although I have to slow you down sometimes I have learned to understand you better.

    I can relate to where you are coming from as music wise, even though Texas, is starting to play more of "New Orleans" music now, but yes it is different when your use to hearing something.

    Since the first time I met you, you have grown and learned so much and I am proud of the adjustment you made and the young lady that you are becoming.

    Good article BIA!!!!!!!!! Proud of you hunny! Love you keep up the good work!!! =)

    <3 Kaylon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it. I remember when you were here in NY and we always used to pronounce your name incorrectly you used to say no my name is SABIAAA !! I would love to hear more about your transition from Antigua & NY to Texas I know it has to be a great experience !!

    Your freshman,
    Sequenza =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I remember being asked if I knew what the internet was and if I would like to learn about it. I told them nope! we use conch shells and and drums on the mountain top to communicate so I would loveeeeeee to learn all about the internet. N they were dead serious.

    I CAN'T!

    #ifeelyourpain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Post! Those questions....WOW! The only one I have ever gotten is "What part of Jamaica is Antigua?" but the rest of them are borderline disrespectful! Your intro has grabbed my attention, I'm looking forward to more posts. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I share the same dilemma almost every day here in Florida. When I was living in Miami I used to get those questions too " Which part of Haiti is Antigua?", "I didnt know you ate those types of food there" and on and on. Living here in the States has really opened my mind. Its somewhat of a reality check and brings you back down to earth. Its amazing to see that ppl living in such a big country knows nothing about the world around them.

    Now that I live in a Caucasian- dominated city, I still get classified as a Haitain ( which absolutely HATE) cuz they think I'm not accustomed to anything. It has definitely been an experience for me though especially now that I'm surrounded by a melting pot of Hatians, Mexicans & Cubans at school I've grown to Appreciate my little Antigua even more.

    Anywho I loved reading your Blog Sabia, Very interesting but way too short. *awaits the next post* :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. good stuff ... looking forward to more. I can definitely relate. Most times I tell them about Antigua they dont even know where it is. Makes me wonder if they ever used an Atlas. Oh, and they always ask if you are Jamaican once they hear your accent. Most of them actually like our accent though and try to imitate - lol (funny).

    Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete